Friday, January 10, 2014

What does it mean to be the Lord of Assets?

The LoA blog has went through some changes over the last 4 years.  What started out as a blog about MMO gaming and how to be a helpful part of a guild has transformed into a place for me to talk about my interests.  I have always had a lot of hobbies and I like to share them with others.  After all, how fun is a board-game is there is nobody around willing to play it with you.

That is really what drove me to video games in the first place.  Not having people around to play D&D or HeroQuest with.  Not that I didn't have good friends who introduced both of those to me when I was young, but that there were hours on end when my friends were busy and I needed to entertain myself.  Since I was little, I have always taken a bag of "things-to-do" with me whenever I go on a trip.  Usually, the packing of this bag takes more time and attention than packing the clothes I'm going to wear or the supplies I need for the trip.  I was always afraid of being stuck somewhere with nothing to do.

I have always been a collector, what I collect has changed over the years but if you can collect it I'm usually interested.  I have an uncontrollable need to complete sets or runs and will usually devote a ridiculous amount of time to tracking down rare and out-of-print issues or editions.  This started with comics and baseball cards (although I'm not sure which once came first).  It has spread to coins, books, video games, graphic novels and many other variations of each.  More recently is has possessed me to try and complete digital collection of objects I can't physically hold or consume.  When I played WoW it was quests, achievements and tier gear.  My comic collection has moved digital, just like my music collection did 10 years ago.  I collect dimes, dating back almost 100 years from both the Denver, Philadelphia and occasionally San Francisco mint.  This lead me collect silver bullion and now even digital currencies like Bitcoin.  As you can see, it is a sickness.

So when I started this blog back in 2010 I was talking about my position as accountant of our guild's digital goods.  But since I don't play WoW anymore I figured I could use this small piece of digital real-estate to talk about my various collections of both physical and digital goods, irl.  I have plans to update my meager following about the things I'm interested in and maybe introduce some of you to your next great hobby.  That's all this is, me sharing the things I find interesting.  That way, if you find yourself stuck somewhere without your "things-to-do" bag you can read this and discover something new.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment